Please find here the current version (Version August 2012) of the IFOAM Norms
08/04/2014: IFOAM members are currently voting on member motions to the IFOAM Standard and IFOAM Accreditation Requirements. See the voting document here.
In 2010, IFOAM launched its new Organic Guarantee System (OGS). The implementation of this new OGS contains major changes to the IFOAM Norms. While they have historically been composed of the IFOAM Basic Standards (IBS) and the IFOAM Accreditation Criteria, the new IFOAM Norms Version 2012 now contain the following normative documents:
- The IFOAM Standard: an off-the-shelf certification standard.
- The IFOAM Standards Requirements, also called the Common Objectives and Requirements of Organic Standards (COROS).
- The IFOAM Accreditation Requirements (former IFOAM Accreditation Criteria).
The development of the IFOAM Norms is regulated by the IFOAM Policy 20 and involves three committees (for more information visit the OGS Commitees page) and goes through a number of public consultation rounds and membership motion processes.
The IFOAM Norms are the basis for approval of certification bodies under the IFOAM Accreditation and the IFOAM Global Organic System Accreditation Programs.
On August 12, 2012 the new version of the IFOAM Norms, Version 2012, has replaced the former Version 2005.
What has changed?
- The IFOAM Basic Standards (IBS) has been replaced by the IFOAM Standard, which has been approved through electronic membership vote ending on the 5th of August 2012.
- The Plant Breeding Draft Standards have been deleted (they are now integrated into the approved IFOAM Standard).
- The COROS (Common Objectives and Requirements of Organic Standards – IFOAM Standards Requirements), approved in July 2011, has been added to the book of norms.
- The IFOAM Accreditation Criteria for Bodies Certifying Organic Production and Processing has been renamed the “IFOAM Accreditation Requirements for Bodies Certifying Organic Production and Processing”, in line with the OGS membership vote of July 2010, and the corresponding edits have been included throughout the document, as well as small changes in its introduction. Its reference to the IBS has been changed to reference the IFOAM Standard.
- Introductory and general sections on the IFOAM Norms, the IFOAM Organic Guarantee System, the IFOAM Accreditation Program, etc. have been updated.
Back to OGS